Sunday, June 20, 2010

Empty Nest

The last baby finch flew off yesterday morning. He or she was the smallest of the bunch, but finally developed enough to take the first leap. I saw both parent Finches pearched nearby on the fence and then one at a time, they would fly onto the nest that once held their five babies. A couple of chirps and they would take off. Both parents flew onto the nest probably wondering where they went. I read it is not uncommon for the parents to continue to feed their offsprings for an additional two weeks. Somewhere out there, all five are flying ,,I hope. For a moment I would have thought they might come back close to where they were born and raised. I took some binoculars with me to look around for them, no luck. I looked for them throughout the day and still didn't see a sign of them. I wondered if I would even recognize them.

This process sparked a new interest I did not think I would ever even consider. Now when I run at Bonelli Park, I am very conscious of birds I see, pointing out the house finches that are in the area, and boy there are lots out there. I saw some real pretty ones with yellow chests. So I asked my wife about buying one for the house and she replied, oh no,,, three dogs and a dumpy frog are enough. We don't need another pet. I had to agree with her. Im still trying to convince her to give away the two white dogs we took in two years ago.

I think our lives are so busy that at times we do not see whats around us and what is around us is lots of life constantly reproducing and surviving in a way that is amazing. So the process continues. Those two finches are probably already preparing another nest somewhere else to produce another brood of finches. I can only be fortunate to have them do this process before my eyes again. For now all I have is an empty nest.

No comments: