Thursday, June 17, 2010

Flew the Coupe


Well, the day finally came when two of the five baby finches decided to make their maiden voyage to be part of the big world. One at a time, Finch number one simply flapped his or her wings and took off into the wild blue yonder. Pictured above are the remaining three that have yet to make that leap of life into the free air above them.

Their maiden voyages are the most critical part of survival because this is the point where they are just learning to fly, which brings me to larger birds of prey like crows and hawks who feed on them when the chicks are spotted trying to take off. Fortunately Finch one and two simply took off. Kinda reminds me of my son Michael Jr. when I taught him how to swim and ride a bike for the first time. I recall Michael was so anxious to get in the swimming pool when he was around 4 years old that I simply let him jump in. He went down like a rock, but popped up like a cork and took off swimming along the poolside. I put Michael on the swimming team at the local community park. I hope the other three chicks do the same and take off.


No comments: