Monday, June 14, 2010

House Finch

About a month ago, a couple of House Finches decided to build a nest on top of a bird cage I have hanging under my patio. I Googled house Finch and found a mountain full of information on their habits. Well, everything that was written was exactly the way the pair have been performing. I think they wrote their own bio. Info said they find a suitable place in a cool area and build their nest, and lay from 3-5 eggs; they laid 5 eggs. Info said incubation is 12-14 days; chix hatched on the 14th day. Info said chix will stay in nest eating from parents for 14 days until they leave nest; today is 13th day and they are almost ready to fly the coupe, I can almost bet tomorrow is the day. Amazing how they built the nest on top of the cage considering the roof is a typical A-frame. My wife wanted me to move the nest initially, but I told her that I think they know what their doing.

One website said that House finches typically have 3-5 broods in one year and can live up to 10 years. These past four weeks have been a treat watching the nest being built and all the way thru the chix getting ready to leave. During the incubation period, the male Finch would fly in to feed the female as she lay non-stop on her eggs. The broods are going to first leave their nest and will be on ground for an unspecified period until they can fly. I am hoping that as they fall to the ground (which is about 8 ft) they flap quick enough to fly off so that they do not fall prey to either my dogs or any crows in the area.

No comments: